Bryce Canyon – the Supermodel of national parks in the U.S.

Published May 13, 2017   Posted in In Retirement

One of my commenters described Bryce Canyon National Park in Utah as the “Supermodel of national parks”. I couldn’t agree more. It’s just stupid gorgeous. The hoodoo-laced landscape is unlike anything that I’ve ever seen. Other parks, unfortunately, pale in comparison.

My wife and I camped for nearly a week in the woods about 15 minutes from Bryce Canyon. Armed with our national parks pass, we hiked through monster red rocks and terrain that switched between sun-blocking trees and barren desert. The latter made me think we were hiking on Mars. Rarely any lines to get into the park, either. It helped that we only hiked on weekdays.

I think I wrote something about the joys of living off-peak back when I had a full-time job.

Nearly half way through our stay, we noticed a wildfire across the highway from our camp. I quickly filled up our truck with diesel in case we had to make a beeline for somewhere else. The winds were blowing in the opposite direction, but if they shifted, we could be in trouble.

But it was the damnest thing…the fire didn’t seem all that “wild” after all. We checked Twitter and, sure enough, it was a controlled burn. Phew. Controlled burns can still get out of control, but the chances of us high-tailing it outta there early wasn’t nearly as extreme. Gravy.

Like I did with our Valley of Fire trip, I’m hittin’ you today with a bunch of delicious photos I captured from our time at Bryce Canyon. I plopped some of these photos up on my photo-heavy blog, FullTimeExplorers.com.

And without further ado…let the good times roll, baby!

Photography from Bryce Canyon

Comments

17 responses to “Bryce Canyon – the Supermodel of national parks in the U.S.”

1. Those pictures are stunning Steve. As for the controlled burn, I’m not sure what I would think if that was just down the road. I can say I wouldn’t be altogether comfortable in the area either before knowing or honestly even after. Still its a situation that never even occurs to most of us.

I live on the edge of a woods. Thankfully I live in an area with lots of rain, but the fear of a forest fire is still something always somewhere in the back of my mind.

Thanks FTF! Yeah, that was a little freaky before we learned that it was a controlled burn. The wife was pretty much ready to leave until we found a post on the Dixie National Forest twitter page. 🙂

2. Physician on FIRE says:

No pictures of the burn?

The pictures you did capture are stunning. And I doubt they do Bryce Canyon justice. Not making me any less interested in RE.

Cheers!
    -PoF

Thanks PoF. Aside from that pic of the mirror, not really. It was just a bunch of smoke…but for a minute there, intimidating! 😉

3. Anybody that is wondering if they should retire or not should just take a look at your amazing pictures. I think everyone would opt for retirement then 🙂

4. Mr. Tako says:

Beautiful pictures as always Steve. Bryce canyon is on my short list of national parks to visit.

Some days when the boys get a little older, I’m sure we’ll visit!

Do so! It’s an amazing place with amazing landscape – and I’ve been to quite a few stunning national parks. Bryce is just totally different in all the right ways. 🙂

5. Creditmarvel.com says:

Amazing. We really have stunning places to see in the US. I remember when I was younger and did the European backpacking thing I though how amazing and beautiful it was and how the US did not compare. Well I am older and wiser and we live in one beautiful country!!

Perfect! It’s sad that so many Americans have never truly seen their own country, yet most of them would hop onto a flight to Europe in a heartbeat. Nothing wrong with Europe, of course…but come on! It’s your own damn country. 🙂

6. Amy Blacklock says:

So amazed at those rocks! These pics are just more fuel for the FIRE. Thanks for sharing the beauty and your photo talents, Steve.

7. It’s otherworldly! My favorite national park and I can’t wait to go back. It feels like you stepped onto a movie set.

Thanks Tonya – and it really does! It’s unreal, almost like we’re on another planet. But alas, we’re still right here in the good ol’ U.S.A!

8. Divnomics says:

I’m in awe. So awesome! Bryce was the park that was to far to visit when we stayed in the US. Seeing those pictures I’m getting jealous that we don’t live closer to it. One day, we’ll come back (and take more time) 🙂

Bryce was (is) an amazing place. We’ll be back for sure, perhaps next year. I know you’ll be back, too. It’s too good to pass up!