The Friday Feast ~ the 19th of May

Published May 19, 2017   Posted in Friday Feast

The personal finance community is filled with so many talented writers and inspiring families in search of something better out of life than the traditional society-approved plan of buying lots of stuff and retiring in your 60s if you’re lucky.

Here is a look at the best of this week’s personal finance blogs.

In this episode of Friday Feast: Mama Fish Saves, Physician on Fire, Freedom Is Groovy, Dividend Monkey, Dad Is Cheap, 1500 Days, You Can Be Free 123, Action Econ, Bare Budget Guy, The Freedom From Money.

readingWelcome to the end of another week. The Friday Feast is my opportunity to highlight some of the best personal finance content that I read during the week. Both old and new articles get mentioned here because I enjoy going through people’s posting archives.

Now, on to the personal finance blogosphere!

First, did you know that Mama Fish Saves has a Family Finance Board of Directors?

And Physician on Fire published a killer post about a doctor who totally failed at retiring early.

My favorite post of the week

My favorite post this week comes from Freedom is Groovy who wrote about making over $43k so far this year…retired.

“As of 5/1/2017, our net worth is $43,769.83 higher than it was on 1/1/2017. But so far this year, we have spent $10,806.03. Not freaking bad.”

Not freaking bad, indeed. But, let’s face it: The market has made everybody a good chunk of change as of late. We’re livin’ large right now, but, as Mr. Groovy asks, “Is the big one coming?”

“My fears are twofold. First, I have very little faith in our elites. I just don’t think those who are running big government, big journalism, big education, big entertainment, big business, big finance, etc., etc., know what the hell they’re doing. Second, from my ignorant, layperson perch, the stock market looks extremely overvalued.”

Maybe the stock market is like a piece of art…it’s worth whatever someone will pay for it.

More from the personal finance community

The Dividend Monkey wrote about seven reasons why dividend investing is stupid. Wait, what?  😉

And, Dad Is Cheap tackles an important topic to many who have kids: How do you afford to parent?

Also, 1500 Days asked an interesting question: What would you STILL not do, even if money was no object?

Lastly, You Can Be Free 123 talks about dumb dichotomies.

Honorable mentions: Action Econ asks is it wise to pay off your mortgage?, Bare Budget Guy is making a huge move, and lastly, The Freedom From Money has started a Podcast!

Photo of the week

We spent a week camping near Bryce Canyon National Park. Amazing place, breathtaking landscape. Wow, nature.

Thanks for reading, and cheers to another financially productive week ahead!

Comments

24 responses to “The Friday Feast ~ the 19th of May”

1. Physician on FIRE says:

“Wow, nature” is right! I need to spend more time in Utah.

Thanks for the feature, Steve. And have yourself a fantastic weekend!
    -PoF

2. MMP says:

If that photo doesn’t make you want to visit Bryce Canyon National I’m not sure what will. Thanks for share some great reads! Have a great weekend!

3. The Tepid Tamale says:

Thanks! This is my first time for the Friday Feast. I found some new blogs to check out.

4. DadsDollarsDebts says:

The market’s have me nervous too. Not nervous enough to change what I do, but still nervous.

Utah is quite lovely and congrats to you for retiring (kinda) and being able to enjoy it!

Yup, we’re just gonna live it up while we can and the market is hot. It’s nice seeing the graph keep going up even though we know it’ll even out…eventually.

5. mamafishsaves says:

Thanks for including me, Steve! My first Friday Feast – Woohoo!

The market is looking very overvalued, but your comparison with art is right. It is why valuation is not a clear cut science, it moves with people’s emotions and we have to ride through the waves!

Thanks Mama Fish, appreciate you stopping by and taking the time to comment. And yup, the market is all about riding the waves. It’s a good wave right now! 🙂

6. Divnomics says:

Great wrap up of some awesome articles floating around the web. Just like The Tepid Tamale, I have some new blogs to check out this weekend!

7. Mr. Groovy says:

Thank you, Steve. I’m truly honored to be included in your weekly feast. I’m not worthy! And that photo of Bryce is absolutely breathtaking. Have a great weekend, my friend. Can’t wait to see what you and Courtney have in store for me with this week’s edition of “A Streamin’ Life.” Cheers.

8. Miss Mazuma says:

Loving all your pics!! I have to check out a Freedom From Money’s podcast. I saw a tweet about it then forgot to download. Thanks for the reminder!!

You’re most welcome, Miss Mazuma. And appreciate your comment about my photography. There’s a ton out here right in our own backyard.

9. Great compilation, thanks a lot! Love the community it’s so helpful and inspiring.

10. Greetings! Great post as always – really enjoy reading up on your financial facts and advice. It’s great to see how you made early retirement a reality for you – show’s how it is possible for everyone! Love how you featured many others in the personal finance community, people are able to do such amazing things with their money no matter how much they make.
    I was wondering if you ever considered Housesitting as a means for income. It is a low-maintenance job and has the benefit of free accommodation. Housesitters have the chance to earn some money on the side while still having time to work and relax – on the job! I recommend visiting a website like Housesitter.com to view opportunities for you!

Thanks Cheryl! I haven’t really considered House sitting because it requires you to live in someone else’s digs, but I do acknowledge that it can probably be an amazing adventure. And you get paid for it, too. Hard to beat that.

11. TSR –

Incredible photo. Also – great articles you have shared, helps me stay on the grind!

-Lanny

12. Steve from Arkansas says:

Awesome hiking at Bryce. I had undiagnosed severe anemia when my wife and I hiked there. As usual we hiked twenty plus miles a day and I was absolutely falling apart. We are both strong marathoners and I was usually faster than her but that trip I was awful. It was weeks later when a doctor determined I was transfusion level low on iron. I’ll always remember that as one of the most beautiful and awful trips of my life as I honestly think I came to deaths door several times driven by male pride. The high desert is no place to be with zero hemoglobin and a fitness beast of a wife!

13. Durga says:

Hi Steve,

Your Friday feast is really beautiful. Your best picture of the camping shows how adventurous you are and the landscape image of the national canyon park is the one I liked most in your feast.