Hello! Welcome to ThinkSaveRetire.com, a blog about early retirement. My name is Steve Adcock and I write about how to achieve that juicy sweet spot between financial independence and undying happiness.
What does “retired from full-time work” mean? It means that I no longer hold down a full-time job and, hopefully, never again will. I may work occasionally on projects that I enjoy – even for money. When that work stops being fun, I move on to other things.
I’ve been featured on major media sites like CBS MarketWatch, Forbes, Business Insider, CNBC, and Vice. Check out my media rap sheet for links to where I’ve been featured.
Here are a few of my favorite features:
Business Insider: 5 myths people have about early retirement that aren’t true
Business Insider: My wife and I retired in our 30s — here’s what we spend in a week
CBS MarketWatch: Here’s the secret to success: Lie to yourself
CBS MarketWatch: 13 simple ways to make early retirement easier
CBS MarketWatch: Why some people hate early retirees — and why they’re wrong
While I don’t consider myself an expert on personal finance, I do come at this from a solid foundation of exploiting money and making it work for you. I’ve done it. And, I’m offering my wisdom to anyone who wants to read it.
And, check us out on YouTube! If you’d like to follow our journey visually, click over to our YouTube channel, A Streamin’ Life, to see our beautiful faces as we travel around the country. You won’t regret it (I hope)!
My most popular posts
Check out the ten popular posts published on this blog (in order of title length, just ’cause):
- Why minimalism sucks
- My Retirement Renaissance
- The awesomeness of not being important
- Screw it! I am retiring by 36 and here is how
- How to master your early retirement lifestyle
- Your ultimate guide to being successful at anything
- Our Financial Independence date, new and improved
- Are million-dollar early retirees ruining personal finance?
- The thing that surprised me the most about early retirement
- Think you need a 2,400 square foot house to feel comfortable?
How I achieved early retirement (Must Reads, please!)
To me, retirement isn’t just about “not working”. Retirement is about choosing what to do with your life outside of the restrictive confines of a 10-hour / day job. I’ve written about my path towards early retirement a few times on the blog.
For example, here is a collection of “Must Reads” if you want to get the most out of my journey:
- I retired from full-time work at the age of 35
- My wife and I want to travel the country on $30k a year
- I understand that I’m not perfect and never will be; perfection is not the goal
- We meticulously budget our expenses, though I also admit when budgets don’t work
- We are not minimalists; we simply live below our means
- Attitude is everything, and thinking positively is a powerful force
How to achieve early retirement
My thoughts on retiring early are simple. Remember, “retirement” means different things to different people. Don’t let society dictate to you what retirement “should be”. That is entirely up to you, my friends.
- First, ignore the retirement police and naysayers.
- And remember, a high income is not the only way to retire early
- Understand that the stock market is about long-term success
- No need to be a genius to retire early, just a little flexibility
- Also, financial independence and early retirement are very different