Morning Brew Review: Stay on Top of Current News in 5 Minutes per Day
Morning Brew gives you a 5 minute summary of daily financial news and breaking news stories directly to your inbox. Best of all—it's free.
To keep this blog ad-free, this post may contain affiliate links and/or paid placement. Click here to read our full disclosure.
Is your inbox filled with marketing emails, unsolicited spam, and lucrative offers from foreign princes?
Most of us only open and read a small percentage of the email messages we receive on a daily basis, because we’re tired of being hounded by marketers and scammers. Let’s be honest, how many emails do you actually look forward to opening?
The means of communication isn’t the problem. Your email inbox can be extremely useful if you’re receiving the right messages. For anyone interested in business, finance, and building wealth, Morning Brew can help turn your inbox into something that’s worth checking each day.
What is Morning Brew?
Morning Brew is an email newsletter that’s essentially a modern-day newspaper. You may not sit down and read a newspaper each morning like people from previous generations did, but that doesn’t mean you can’t be informed or up-to-date on the most important current events and topics.
The Morning Brew newsletter is free and as a subscriber, you’ll have an email waiting for you when you get up each morning. The email includes headlines and summaries of the latest events, and plenty of links to more detailed articles if you’re interested in reading more.
The primary focus is on business and finance but those subjects are impacted by social and political news, so that’s included as well. You’ll also find some headlines on other topics like sports and travel.
The content of Morning Brew is refreshingly witty and entertaining. In fact, their writers have a very conversational tone that we would say is similar to our tone here at Think Save Retire
While the goal is to present the news, they do it in a way that feels different from any other news platform. Morning Brew was started in 2015 by two college students, Alex Lieberman and Austin Rief. Six years later, Morning Brew now provides the daily news to more than one million subscribers.
The tagline is “Become smarter in just 5 minutes.” With just about five minutes each morning, you can browse through the email and get a good high-level view of the important news for the day. Of course, you might spend more than five minutes if you find something that interests you and you dive in and read some of the articles linked in the email.
Useful for Investing and Building Wealth
One of the primary sections of the newsletter is the market summary.
You’ll be able to quickly see what’s up and what’s down, and there are also some bullet points that mention key issues.
Of course, news that’s not directly related to the financial markets or to businesses can also have a big impact on investors. That’s been very obvious in 2020 and 2021 as headlines related to the pandemic have been extremely relevant to investors. Morning Brew includes social and political news that you need to be aware of.
If you’re an investor or you’re working to build wealth, staying informed of current events is essential, and Morning Brew makes that easy.
While the main Morning Brew newsletter is the primary focus, there are also some additional options for more specialized content.
- Emerging Tech Brew - This email newsletter focuses on stories related to “the technologies that will shape the future of business.”
- Retail Brew - Intended for retail professionals, this daily email provides all of the relevant headlines for the industry.
- Marketing Brew - The latest stories related to marketing and advertising.
- Sidekick - Entertainment, recipes, productivity hacks, and more.
You can sign up for any of these specialized brews instead of the main email, or in addition to it.
Morning Brew also produces a podcast called Business Casual. There are a few new episodes published each week and topics include entrepreneurship, technology, finance, venture capital, lifestyle, and more.
Since Morning Brew is free, there’s some sponsored content included in the newsletters. However, it’s pretty minimal and even the sponsored content is relevant and well written. It’s also clearly marked as sponsored so you can easily decipher what is news and what’s an advertisement.
Pros and Cons
To help you decide if you should subscribe to Morning Brew, we’d like to mention the most significant pros and cons.
- It’s free. There’s no cost at all to receive news from Morning Brew.
- A quick way to stay informed. With just five minutes of your day, you can see all of the most important headlines and stories. Simply scanning the headlines will help you to know what’s going on in the world, and you can dive into any stories that interest you.
- It’s entertaining. Morning Brew writers do an outstanding job of making sure that the newsletter is fun to read and not boring.
- You can unsubscribe at any time. If you give Morning Brew a chance and you decide that it’s not worth five minutes of your day, you can easily unsubscribe from any email sent to you.
- May take you more than five minutes. Yes, you can read the newsletter itself in five minutes. But chances are, you’ll see something that piques your interest and click on a link to read more. In that case, you may spend more than five minutes per day.
- Limited specialization. While there are a few additional emails that are specialized, there is no way to customize the topics or headlines you receive in the main newsletter. Every subscriber receives the same email. It would be great if you could choose to receive or skip stories in certain categories.
Overall, Morning Brew is an excellent newsletter that’s definitely worth trying. If you find that the pace of life makes it challenging to stay up-to-date with important news and events, you’re sure to appreciate the convenience of having the top stories presented to you in a single email each day. Since it’s free and you can unsubscribe at any time, there’s really no reason not to give it a try.
Signing Up for Morning Brew
Signing up to receive Morning Brew’s daily email is extremely easy. Just head to their homepage and the first thing you’ll see is the signup form. Your email address is the only thing you need to enter, no other personal data.
After you’ve entered your email address, you’ll receive a confirmation email. Click the link in the confirmation email and you’ll be added to the list. The next morning, you’ll receive the daily email in your inbox.
Sign up for your Morning Brew newsletter here.